Hello! I’m Dr. Melisa Arias-Valenzuela
Clinical Psychologist & Clinical Director
I’m Dr. Melisa Arias-Valenzuela, Psy.D. / Ph.D., C. Psych., PMH-C, and I am a clinical psychologist licensed in Ontario. I am also a certified perinatal mental health clinician with Postpartum Support International (PMH-C) and a Qualified Instructor in Mindfulness-Based Eating Awareness Training (MB-EAT-QI). I am the founder and clinical director of Uprise Psychology & Wellness. I work primarily with adults as well as teens and their families struggling with eating disorders and body image concerns, as well as adults struggling with perinatal mental health. I also provide clinical supervision services to team members at Uprise Psychology & Wellness, clinical consultation to professionals outside of the practice and I co-lead several wellness and therapeutic skills groups.
My Approach & Values
My therapeutic approach is collaborative, compassionate, trauma and social justice informed, as well as evidence-based. Working with my clients, I use psychological interventions backed by scientific data to help people make meaningful changes to their lives, ease their suffering, and enhance their well-being.
My licenses: CPO # 6862
My languages: English, French and Spanish
My availability: I provide in-person and virtual services.
- Throughout my doctoral studies, I trained in various clinical settings including a university clinic, a mental-health hospital and private community clinics.
- I completed my predoctoral internship at the McGill University Health Center’s Cognitive Behavioural Therapy center.
- Since then, I have received additional training at the Training Institute for Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders, Contextual Psychology Institute, Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, Compassionate Mind Foundation, Mindful Eating Training Institute
Radically Open LTD, Postpartum Support International.
My Areas of Expertise:
- Eating disorders and body image concerns
- Perinatal mental health difficulties
- Anxiety disorders
- Depressive disorders
- Trauma-related disorders
- Stress management and burnout
- Grief and loss
- Low self-esteem
- Self-criticism and perfectionism
- Academic and relationship Issues
- Baccalauréat spécialisé approfondi en Psychologie (B.A.) from the University of Ottawa (Magna Cum Laude)
- Doctorat en Psychologie (Psy.D./Ph.D.) from the Université du Québec à Montréal
- My doctoral thesis focused on understanding how multicultural people identify with their cultural groups and negotiate their cultural differences as well as the repercussions of these processes on their psychological well-being.
- My thesis received a doctoral fellowship by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
Assessments & Therapy
Supervision & Consultation
We’d love to hear from you
Ask a question or book an appointment below.